Wednesday, October 31, 2007

NaNoWriMo

OK, I'm giving it a try.

I saw this writing program mentioned over on Don't Print This awhile back, but I didn't really give it much thought or check out what it was all about until the Brooklyn Hillbilly sent me an e-mail last night.

It was this line on their website that made me decide to sign up for the write a novel in a month challenge:
Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing.
The object, they stress, is quantity, not quality -- and because of the way I've been feeling lately, that's exactly the low-pressure strategy I need.

I also know that it would be helpful for me to feel like I accomplished something. Fifty-thousand words (about 175 pages) in 30 days is definitely a lofty goal, especially in a month with numerous holidays, travel days, and after hours work assignments, but if I could somehow pull it off, it might be a morale boost that would get me through the holidays ;).

5 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

Go you!

And as far as I'm concerned, if you can write every single day, that makes you a winner, regardless of your word count.

It's the butt in chair writing that's the hardest part, IMO.

So fiction, non-fiction or some of both?

S said...

Completely fiction, except for some scenery and landscapes.

And I'm not going to worry about structure, which is something I have never been good at, whether it's a short story or research paper. So whatever I end up with will be more of a lump of text rather than a structured story.

Random Michelle K said...

Cool! Any hints as to what it's about?

And structure may come more easily as you write--and if you decide to go back and revise.

(Me, I revise just about *everything* I write, from stories to e-mail to blog comments.

It's FUN to have OCD!)

Regardless keep us updated!

Kayt Ludi said...

I too am attempting NaNoWriMo this year, and am supposed to be writing right now. However, having serious trouble internalizing the quantity not quality concept I'm experiences a wee bit of writer's block and am instead reading blogs :)

S said...

Good luck, Lulubunny! I was doing pretty good up till today, and now I'm bored...probably not a good sign that I'm bored with my own story.